Columbia University's departmentof Neurology and specifically its Neurocritical Care division are looking for Senior Staff Associate. Research in the Neurologic Intensive Care Unit (NICU) in the Division of Neurocritical Care at Columbia University spans active clinical trials, epidemiological outcome studies, and signal processing/big data analytics of high resolution physiological data and other biomarkers. The Data Scientist will primarily be responsible for the preparation and analysis of high-resolution data for research studies. Data preparation will include implementing real-time processing algorithms on the IBM streaming analytic platform as well as working with archived data repositories stored in standard EEG file formats, compressed binary files, or MS SQL databases. The data scientist will also assist as needed with epidemiological studies that depend on complex data querying from MS SQL databases and applying standard biostatistics such as logistic regression with or without GEE. Preferably, the data scientist would also be able to revamp the overall data acquisition of low-resolution clinical data from paper acquisition to a web-based system such as REDcap, which would also involve converting old MS SQL data structures into compliance with a new system.
The ideal candidate is:
- A solid programmer (Python, Java, R, Matlab).
- Knows exploratory data analysis and visualization techniques, and has working knowledge of machine learning / predictive modeling / hypothesis testing / imputation / variable transformation techniques.
- Likes large noisy datasets, can learn new things quickly, and enjoys interacting with researchers from many disciplines.
- Has the ability to work with teams to develop an analytic plan and then work independently to implement that plan and effectively communicate the results is critical.
- The candidate should have excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as excellent interpersonal skills with clinicians, staff, and other health care professionals.
- Able to read, analyze, and interpret information from professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
Eight or more years of progressive programming, databasing and data analysis experience in an academic environment. Must possess mastery over large data sets and extraction of key variables for analysis.
- Masters in computer science, or mathematical/statistical related field.
- It is not expected that the candidate be familiar with IBM Streams or real-time data processing, but it will be important to be willing to acquire these skills (with guidance and supervision). Some familiarity with Linux would be ideal.
- Experience with biostatistical methods including familiarity with standard statistical packages (e.g., R, SPSS, SAS, STATA)
- Familiar with SQL.
- Familiar with Hadoop or other similar platform
Consultant - SAS SQL Programmer
Position Summary: As part of the DOE’s Division of Talent, Labor, and Innovation (DTLI),the Office of Talent Research and Data (ORD) is responsible for developing policies, programs, systems, and tools that support the development and evaluation of extraordinary teachers and leaders for NYC schools. The Office of Talent Research and Data’s team provides in-depth analysis linking policies to the impact they have on student outcomes. This analysis provides critical information used to inform strategy and enables DTLI to continually assess and improve policies and programs. The goal of the Office of Talent Research and Data is to provide research and analytics that supports data-driven systems and decision making for how the DOE selects, develops, evaluates and retains the most effective teachers and school leaders to ensure that every student is college and career ready upon graduating from high school.
- Write, maintain, and execute code required for the implementation of the DOE’s teacher and principal evaluation systems, e.g., SAS, Excel, and Transact-SQL software.
- Lead the development, maintenance and quality control of teacher and principal evaluation programming code.
- Integrate teacher and principal evaluation products and data with other DOE information systems.
- Improve the scalability, accuracy, and automation of technical aspects of the teacher and principal evaluation systems.
- Create technical documents, process documentation, and provide program and technical training to analysts and others working on the teacher evaluation systems.
- Explore system methods of increasing the value of teacher and principal evaluation systems as business intelligence tools for educators, administrators and the public.
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college including or supplemented by 24 semester credits in computer science or a related computer field and one year of satisfactory full-time computer software experience in computer systems development and analysis, applications programming, database administration, systems programming or data communications; or
- A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent and five years of satisfactory full-time computer software experience as described in "1" above; or
- Education and/or experience equivalent to "1" or "2" above. College education may be substituted for up to two years of the required experience in "2" above on the basis that 60 semester credits from an accredited college is equated to one year of experience. In addition, 24 semester credits from an accredited college or graduate school in computer science or a related field, or a certificate of at least 625 hours in computer programming from an accredited technical school (post high school), may be substituted for one year of experience. However, all candidates must have at least a four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent and at least one year of satisfactory full-time experience as described in "1" above.
Please submit resume and cover letter to ORDemployment@gmail.com.
Senior Data Scientist
HowAboutWe is the modern love company. We help people fall in love and stay in love.
We're a well-funded ($18.5m), rapidly-growing startup with headquarters in Brooklyn, NY. We build breathtaking products that transform people’s lives. You can read more about us here.
Data Science at HowAboutWe is product-focused. We apply sophisticated techniques to drive lever-moving product decisions.
Here are some of the problems we’re trying to solve:
- Dating site matching algorithm that updates based on user behaviors
- Analysis of dating profiles to help users construct profiles that garner attention from people they’re likely to like
- Designing the optimal messaging flow in the online dating experience
- Deep, long-term analysis of multivariate tests based on impact of test on ecosystem as a whole
- Couples product date-recommendation algorithm
We operate in a fashion similar to a development team: we use tracker and have a weekly planning meeting for prioritizing stories. We also meet once a week with product team leadership and the development teams to review A/B test data.
The role of the Senior Data Scientist is to use data to effectively improve our products and help more people fall in love and stay in love. This means thinking pragmatically and strategically about our apps and our business as a whole. It means effectively applying not only hard skills (programming and statistical analysis) but also soft skills (clear communication, effective collaboration with designers and engineers).
- Co-ownership (with Product team leadership) of AB testing
- Interpreting AB test data and determining when a test can be ended
- Making recommendations for subsequent tests
- Anticipating data collection needs and advocating for data collection to development
- Advocating for the intelligent use of data throughout the organization
- Evaluating analytical and procedural tools to make the team more efficient
- Planning and leading development of larger scale projects
- Executing ad hoc analyses in an easily-repeatable way
- Providing guidance to junior team members on analytical technique and process
This position is for full-time employment on-site in our office in DUMBO. We will support relocation for the right candidates.
To apply please first check out our site and make sure you love our work and want to contribute to it. Then please send a resume and cover letter to Dan Weitzenfeld, Senior Data Scientist at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Business Intelligence Analysts
Our team of analysts explores a client’s entire business model and identifies the challenges to growth. We work to craft strategic messages that will move the needle with these important audiences. Infused with this intelligence, Peppercomm's programs then become a tool not just for promoting a company and its products through the media, but for making sure that messages most clearly reflect what the company wants to communicate and what the intended audience needs. BIG is our platform for ensuring Peppercomm's public relations work truly is strategic.
The ideal candidate needs to be comfortable with Excel, possess an understanding of business/economics, have a background in qualitative research, and have strong communication and writing skills. This is a full-time position with a competitive salary, full benefits and the opportunity to work at a firm with an amazing culture.
Peppercomm, is an award-winning full-service integrated communications and marketing agency (www.peppercomm.com). We differentiate ourselves by ensuring that every program begins with strategy and ends with results. Our services include media relations, analyst relations, crisis counsel, internal/employee communications, research and analytics, interactive marketing support, trade show/special events, digital, and licensing. Based in New York City with offices in San Francisco and London, the firm represents a host of companies and organizations spanning industries such as:
• Business to business
• Financial services
• Professional services
• Consumer products
Peppercomm is currently seeking outgoing and motivated candidates for its Business Intelligence Group in the New York office.
Business Intelligence Group – Research and Analytics:
Peppercomm’s Business Intelligence Group (BIG) takes Peppercomm’s mission of understanding the business of a client’s business to another level. Public relations firms have traditionally tried to determine a client's reputation with the media and then worked to change it. But BIG takes a more holistic approach, moving PR work from “press relations” toward a true marketing and communications strategy.
To Apply: Email Dan Salazar at Dsalazar@Peppercomm.com.
Open Data Intern
One of MODA and DoITT’s goals is to facilitate a more transparent and open government to increase civic engagement. Through New York City’s open data policy – a citywide set of standards and guidelines – we are presenting information through raw data and ensuring that New York City government is increasingly accountable and open for future generations.
Beyond presenting information to the public, these data sets serve as a rich resource for developers, civic groups, and anyone else to build applications on their own. The creation of new apps using City data fosters innovation and leverages talents beyond City government for create solutions to tough problems.
The New York City Department of Information Technology & Telecommunications (DoITT) provides the foundation for NYC’s innovation economy. DoITT is responsible for modernizing government technology; increasing digital literacy opportunities for New Yorkers; facilitating a more transparent and open government; and creating innovative partnerships with today’s leaders in technology to improve IT infrastructure, service delivery, and civic engagement across the five boroughs.
The intern would primarily be responsible for analyzing the City’s Open Data Plan (ODP). The OPD released in September 2013 represents all City datasets that fall under the definition of public data but have not yet been released. The intern will be responsible for assessing the completeness, technical accuracy and compliance with the Law. The intern will provide feedback to the agency and work with agency contacts to improve upon the plan
Data Science / Research Internship: http://sumall.org/data-science-research-internship/
- Expertise: Data Science, Data Research
- Location: New York, NY
- Type: Internship
- Experience: Any
Perfect opportunity for upcoming data scientists to gain real-world problem solving experience with large, civic data-sets.
About SumAll.org: SumAll.org is SumAll.com's non-profit organization dedicated to doing social good by leveraging data. The office is based in Soho in New York City and can offer extremely attractive work for upcoming data scientists with big datasets and very rewarding civic challenges. One of the biggest challenges facing charities and non-profits is the lack of resources and data analytics at their disposal. Our goal is for charitable organizations to reach more people and to be more effective in the way they do it. We connect datasets, create algorithms, data visualizations, data communication concepts as well as application ideas to help solve problems as diverse as homelessness, drug abuse, human trafficking, crisis response or education technology.
We are looking for a Data Science / Data Researchers to help us dive into new data, link data-sets, prepare & clean data, connect to APIs and generate initial basic visualizations and research insights. Relevant skills: Whatever it takes to handle large datasets to gather actionable insights: R, Python, MySql, development skills. Knowledge of rapid data visualization & exploration tools (e.g. Tableau, CartoDB, ESRI, ... ), academic or business research background a plus.Tell us more about yourself! Internship Form
Why Join SumAll.org?
- Measurably impact and affect important social issues
- Collaborate with a great team in a high-velocity startup environment
- Help shape a revolutionary new category of data-driven non-profits
- Catered lunches and snacks!
Contact: Stefan Heeke email@example.com
Researcher / Data Analyst
New York, New York
Tremblant Capital Group was established in 2001 and manages multiple investment products across the Equity Long/Short, Equity Long Only and Equity Fund of Fund space. Tremblant currently has 34 employees and assets in excess of $2 billion.
Tremblant Capital seeks an individual to join its proprietary research team. The chosen candidate will use both analytical and creative approaches to solve unstructured questions related to quantifying the risks and drivers of growth of publicly traded companies, and on incorporating the resulting analyses into the investment process. Candidates must be diligent, attentive to detail, intellectually curious, and able to multitask in a fast-paced environment.
Position responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Conducting / assisting with a wide variety of research projects
- Defining and implementing methods of gathering and cleaning data
- Aiding the analyst team in interpreting data and conclusions
- Proactively suggesting areas for study
- Creating effective analyses and visualizations of large data sets
REQUIRED SKILL SET
- Bachelor’s degree in Data Science or related field
- Proficiency in statistics (including linear and logistic regression, time series analysis, forecasting, clustering, principal components analysis, interpolation, etc.)
- Programming experience and database familiarity
- Knowledge of accounting and finance is a plus
- Two to five years of post-graduate work experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and other Office products
- Effective oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Excellent organizational skills and process-orientation
- Trustworthy professional with the highest ethical standards
To apply, please send your resume & cover letter to Susie Fuller at firstname.lastname@example.org
No postings. Check back soon!
Data Scientist — Boston, MA
Objective Logistics is looking for applied math nuts to hack away at our artificial intelligence & analytics platform. Through quantitative analysis you’ll work on interesting problems in ranking staff performance, schedule optimization, and write supervised/unsupervised algorithms for making predictions and discovering new insights from our data. We have a highly normalized big data store with plenty of questions to be answered – we promise you’ll never be bored :]. Our philosophy is that all the change we affect is pursuant to one goal: increased performance (be it financial, productivity, or service). As a Data Scientist part of your job is to prove it. Theory aside, you’ll also work with or as a software engineer to implement your research and algorithms into our core products. You’ll often draft internal proofs/blueprints for engineering and occasionally prepare our analysis for publication.
This job will be based in Boston, MA. We offer a competitive compensation package including equity options for all employees. If you are are ready to bring our user experience to a whole new level and want to work for a fun, fast-paced startup, please send us your resume!
Database Developer (Officer Full Time Regular)
Reporting to the Strategic Information (SI) Unit Deputy Director, the Database Developer designs, develops, implements and maintains systems to collect, manage, report and disseminate health informatics data collected by ICAP country and New York teams, which is used for routine reporting, special projects and studies. Contributes to enhancing capacity of relevant ICAP country staff, Ministry of Health staff and others in conceptualizing and managing their databases, in a consultant role.
Requires a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Management or related discipline, plus four (4) years of experience in database design and data management.
The candidate selected for this position is required to undergo a full background check prior to a final offer of employment being made.
To apply - Link